EuroMillion Jackpot Winners are those rare phenomena. We have heard about them, seen them in the news, bathing in the glow of a jackpot win. However, UK EuroMillion players generally tend to do better in bigger lottery draws. In this article, we take a look at the five most noteworthy winners.
5 UK EuroMillion Winners
Of the 5 EuroMillion winners, our top selection is the most recent UK-recorded win. Each of the five lottery winners won life-changing amounts. But, despite the change in fortunes, some experienced a load of angst following the win.
Record UK EuroMillions Lottery Win
- Gloucester Couple Win £184,262,899 & pledge to “Dream a Little”. Richer than Adele, permit us to dream a little. This brave couple went public with the news of the win! The numbers selected were from a Lucky Dip!
- An Anonymous winner claimed a £170 Million win in October 2019 & elected to remain under the radar. I can’t blame them for doing that, to be honest.
- £161 Million by Scottish couple Colin & Chris Weir. This Scottish couple was for years the top single-ticket win among UK Lottery players. But unfortunately, a certain amount of tragedy accompanies this win, with one of the parties passing away.
- A £148.6 Million win and another single-ticket couple win. Another precautionary tale of maintaining anonymity. The couple parted ways a short time after winning this lottery jackpot.
- A Northern Ireland couple- yet again – won a £114.9 Euromillions jackpot. The one genuinely inspirational story amongst the winners listed here.
Portugal & Swiss Lottery Winners
Portugal and Switzerland each supplied a winning player in this particular lottery prize draw. However, UK lottery players have a distinct advantage compared to Swiss and Portuguese players. The advantage is not one of chance. All lottery players have precisely the same odds of winning the EuroMillion jackpot. The advantage UK EuroMillion players have is that all winnings are tax-exempt.
EuroMillion Winnings Taxation
In this age of austerity, it seems as if Governments are keen to tax and raise funds for every form of gambling. EuroMillion Lottery has not escaped the clutches of some countries. Both Portugal and Switzerland have levied a EuroMillions Winner Tax. It hardly seems fair to defy the massive odds of claiming even a portion of the jackpot, to lose a sizeable part of it. UK players do not have to contend with this extra taxation burden yet. They do, though, have to put up with yet another EuroMillions price increase.
Camelot Lottery Control Coming to an End
Camelot Plc, now running both the National Lottery & EuroMillions in the UK, is facing a decision to strip them of the license to run the popular lotteries. Some label the company greedy after price increases and adjustments of lottery numbers in the UK Lottery. It certainly did not help that their app was incorrect in scanning and validating lottery numbers.
A New operator in the form of Sazka ( via a UK Subsidiary) has gotten chosen to replace Camelot, who is now predictably seeking legal advice. Losing a cash cow like the lottery operation for the entire UK must be a bitter pill for a company to swallow.